Below is a letter, from my friend Nancy Mereska in Canada.
If you are concerned about the future of women's rights in North America, please follow her example and compose a letter asking the Canadian government to take immediate action against the human rights abuse of polygamy taking place within a supposedly free and democratic society.
Word is that the Province of B.C. has the option, and may yet appeal Judge Stromberg's decision. We need to insist our voice is heard.
Americans Against Abuses of polygamy is proud to stand strongly behind the efforts of Stop Polygamy in Canada. We support and encourage the Province of British Columbia to appeal this bad decision. We ask all freedom loving Americans to let their voice be heard, and to demand the Canadian government step up to protect the human rights of their women and children.
September 23, 2009
Premier Gordon Campbell
Office of the Premier
Honourable Premier Campbell:
Re: Appealing the ruling by Judge Stromberg today that quashed the charges of polygamy against Winston Blackmore and James Oler
The Stop Polygamy in Canada Campaign respectfully requests that your government appeals the ruling by Judge Stromberg today, September 23, 2009, whereby the charges of polygamy against Winston Blackmore and James Oler have been quashed.
We wish to remind you that:
• Canada is the only country in the world that has all the legal ammunition it needs to prosecute and stop the practice of polygamy.
• Canada has a Criminal Code wherein Section 293 makes the practice of polygamy illegal.
• Canada has a Charter of Rights and Freedoms wherein sections 15 and 28 speak for gender equality—there is no gender equality in polygamy.
• Canada has signed and ratified many international conventions that speak to the rights of women and children including The International Convention for Human Rights, The International Convention for the Rights of the Child, and The International Convention for the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women—wherein section 5 speaks to the harm polygamy does to women and children.
• The women and children caught in the clutches of polygamy cannot speak for themselves. Their lives and salvation depend on them adhering to the dictates of their male leaders (and abusers).
• All aspects of polygamy are harmful and abusive: there is no freedom of choice, there is no education on rights and freedoms, there is abuse in all forms—mental, physical, and sexual.
The Government of British Columbia dismissed charges of polygamy against Winston Blackmore and Dalmon Oler (now deceased) in 1991 saying Section 293 of the Criminal Code of Canada was unconstitutional and did not apply to British Columbia. Where was the logic in that decision? How can a Province overrule a Federal Law? Now history has repeated itself to the shame of British Columbia.
A canwest news story appeared in the papers on March 25th of this year claiming that the “Harper Government is prepared to defend the constitutionality of Canada’s criminal ban against polygamy, arguing the practice of polygamy represents a ‘clear challenge’ to Canadian values, newly released federal documents show.” (The Edmonton Journal, Wednesday, March 25, 2009, Ottawa braces to defend polygamy ban by Andrew Mayeda, Canwest News Service, Ottawa).
Please use your powers to launch an appeal to Judge Stromberg’s ruling. The world is watching Canada. The world is educated on the powers and legal ammunition Canada has to Stop Polygamy in Canada.
Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. A favour of your response to this email letter would be appreciated.
Nancy Mereska, Coordinator
Stop Polygamy in Canada
Two Hills, AB T0B 4K0